Monday, April 6, 2009

Art/Famous Artists Lapbook


Well, this is another idea that I had in the middle of the night when I could not sleep! I hope it is a good one.

There are always so many things that I want to do with the kids but cannot find time for- art is one of them. Theoretically, I was going to do this with the kids over the summer, but the list of things to do over the summer seems to be growing fast! We will see how it works out. Anyway, I used these books that I picked up from the used book store titled Getting to Know the World's Greatest Artists. Our library has corresponding DVDs to go with them.

The first section I made a color wheel, light, major artistic movements, and little matchbooks that each focus on a different mode of art. I used an Usborne art book- Children's Book of Art- for this information and Homeschoolshare for the templates.
In the following sections, I highlight a few of the famous artists that I want to focus on (Monet, Da Vinci, Rembrandt, Picasso, and Van Gogh). I made little books on the artist, their home country, and famous artwork. I also wanted a place were the kids could try to mimic the artwork itself and where they could do a bit of narration about the art.
Here are a few of the sites that were helpful:
I think we may add to this once we get started because there is so much out there that we can use, but this is a good skeleton to start with.

9 comments:

Unknown said...

This is great! Thanks for sharing your ideas. We regularly do artist study, but mainly because my daughter is very creative. We're studying Vermeer now.

Anonymous said...

It looks great! That is one we really need to do to.

We do study one artist a month in our Little Hands group.
You can see more about it on my blog.

Click on the side bar with the Little Hands Art Group

www.homeschoolblogger.com/michellel

DebbieS said...

On top of the great ideas for your own lapbook, the links you shared are a treasure trove for me. Thank you!

Lynn said...

This looks great. If you don't mind me asking.. how did you make the templates with words and graphics? I am trying to make my own lapbooks and have the templates but don't know how to add the graphics to it before printing them out.. You can email me back at lovetolearn (at) bresnan (dot) net.. Thanks Lynn

April said...

Thank you so much for sharing this info. I've been looking for this for 2 months. What a blessing! We are working on an art class for our co-op.

Kristenph said...

Great lapbooks.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful!! It's gorgeous!
You did a fabulous job of thinking it through and including so much!
Sheila

cre8tone said...

This is nice..

Famous Artists said...

I really like the image... Very well composed. And I like the colors and multilevel shapes